Birthdays are a time to celebrate, and cakes packed full of refined sugars, and artificial ingredients are the hallmark of a birthday celebration. But is there a healthier way to celebrate birthdays that doesn’t feel like you are giving something up?
Maybe food can be indulgent and wholesome. Real food is for everyone, not just for people with dietary restrictions and not just for people who want to lose weight. Around here, when we say healthy, we don’t mean diet. Whole foods and real ingredients are what our bodies crave.
Funfetti Cake Batter Baked Oatmeal
The bright colors of sugar sprinkles and rich vanilla favor evoke all of the classic ‘birthday cake’ feelings. If you are looking to replace the sugar-laden birthday cake without giving up the flavor, it is time to reimagine how to enjoy your favorite flavors.
Funfetti cake batter baked oatmeal is a mouthful to say and a great way to start your special day. This recipe uses vegan-friendly, plant-based proteins, oats, banana, and natural vanilla flavor to serve a surprisingly healthy, real food birthday treat.
Get the recipe here: Funfetti cake batter baked oatmeal
No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake
The lemon zest gives this cheesecake a crisp, tangy finish to perfectly complement its creamy texture. It is an indulgent dessert that you don’t have to feel bad about. It is sweetened with honey, not refined sugars, and garnished with fresh berries.
For cheesecake lovers, the good news is this recipe isn’t even dressed down. It is just naturally wholesome and a healthier alternative to a traditional birthday cake. And, if you follow the recipes straight down to the brand of yogurt, you will be supporting small farms too.
- 1 c. Raw Almonds
- 1 c. Raw Pecans
- 6 Medjool Dates, Pitted
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 2-8oz Packages of Cream cheese
- Zest + Juice from 1 Lemon
- ¼ c. Honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Lemon Extract
- Combine almonds, pecans, dates, butter, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Line or lightly grease the bottom of the 9-inch pan.
- Press nut mixture into the pan to form a crust.
- Combine filling ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour into the crust.
- Refrigerate cheesecake overnight or at least 6 hours.
- Garnish with berries and lemon zest before serving.
Related: Banana Bread Coffee Cake
Paleo Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
We are calling all chocolate lovers for this healthier spin on a traditional chocolate cake. In case you are unfamiliar, paleo is a diet based on clean eating. While we aren’t nuts about following fad diets, we do like the idea of eating real food and real food ingredients.
This chocolate cake recipe uses a blend of almond flour, coconut flour, and tapioca flour to get just the right consistency. It also has some other surprising ingredients, including ground espresso and apple cider vinegar which the creator swears gives it a rich, decadent taste.
Get the recipe here: Chocolate Cake Recipe
GoNanas Not-so-traditional Banana Breads
Not only is this delicious banana bread mix vegan-friendly and gluten-free, but it features clean ingredients. It also comes in a variety of non-traditional flavors like salted caramel and red velvet, so you can replace all of your delectable dessert favorites with healthier options.
While GoNanas certainly makes delicious banana breads, the creativity doesn’t stop there. These mix packets provide a good base for other baked goods like donuts, blondies, cakes, and many more great recipes.
GoNanas believes in creating real food with wholesome, real-food ingredients. Our products are naturally vegan-friendly, gluten-free, and allergen-free because everyone should be able to enjoy eating food that is good for them. Shop our line of amazing GoNanas banana bread mixes today.
Apple Donuts Birthday Stack
Skip the cake in favor of these delicious, real-food-based apple donuts. Decorate them with some vegan-friendly frosting and stack them like a cake and you won’t even miss a beat.
- 1 Box Cream Cheese
- Food Coloring
- Apple Corer
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Cutting Board
- Whip the cream cheese to a frosting consistency. Add a little honey for sweetness if desired.
- Color frosting with vegan-friendly food coloring if desired.
- Slice and core apples.
- Decorate with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Crackly Banana Bread Ice Cream Sandwiches
Find the perfect balance between cake and ice cream with these banana bread ice cream sandwiches. The delicious and nutritious combination of bananas and dairy makes these ice cream sandwiches an excellent treat for a summer birthday.
- 1 package GoNanas Crackly Banana Bread Mix
- 1 ½ Over-ripe Bananas
- ½ Tbsp Maple Syrup
- ½ c Almond Flour (may substitute flour of your choice)
- ½ c Chocolate Chips
- Vanilla Ice Cream (Your Choice)
- 1 Bar Chopped Dark Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare baking pans with liners or a light layer of grease.
- Mash bananas, combine with mix and flour.
- Fold in chopped chocolate pieces and chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough onto a cookie sheet and spread evenly—Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and shake to level, place back in the oven for another 6-8 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Spread a layer of ice cream over the cooled cookie.
- Cut into sandwich squares and combine to serve.
Everything But the Kitchen Sink Banana Bread Bars
And for the undiscerning dessert connoisseur who cannot settle on just one flavor, we have these combination dessert bars. They are one part brownie, one part cookie, and definitely one part wholesome with a dough made from GoNanas banana bread mix.
- 1 package banana bread mix
- 3 small ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp milk (use any variety of your choice)
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. each topping chopped: heath bar, potato chips, chocolate chips, pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare the baking pan.
- Mash bananas and whisk them together with all wet ingredients.
- Stir in mix and brown sugar until combined.
- Fold in toppings
- Spread mixture in a baking sheet and place in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with additional toppings; let cool.
- Cut into bars and serve.
Birthday treats don’t have to be loaded full of sugar and refined ingredients. In fact, wholesome food makes you feel better, provides more energy, and doesn’t weigh you down. Try swapping out the birthday cake for one of these delicious recipes--we bet you won’t miss the empty calories!
GoNanas is committed to providing delicious treats made from real and simple ingredients. What started as one banana bread recipe has grown into a full line of delicious flavors and dozens of compatible recipes. Find out more about GoNanas here.